Vide notification no: 13/52/2006-1HG2/7443 dated 14.08.2006, Greater Mohali Area Development Authority, shortly known as GMADA, has been constituted under the provisions of Section 29(1) of the Punjab Regional and Town Planning and Development Act, 1995 for the development and redevelopment of the areas of Mohali, Banur, Zirakpur, Derabassi, Kharar, Mullanpur, Fatehgarh Sahib, Mandi Gobindgarh & Roopnagar under its jurisdiction.
Under Section 28 of the Punjab Regional and Town Planning and Development Act, 1995, the main objects and functions of GMADA is to promote and secure better planning & development of any area of the State and for that purpose the Authority shall have the powers to acquire by way of purchase, transfer, exchange or gift or to hold, manage, plan, develop and mortgage or otherwise dispose of land or other property or to carry out itself or in collaboration with any other agency or through any other agency on its behalf, building, engineering, mining and other operations to execute works in connection with supply of water, disposal of sewerage, control of pollution and other services and amenities and generally to do anything with the prior approval or on direction of the State Government, for carrying out the purpose of this Act.
In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the forgoing provisions the Authority itself or in collaboration with any other agency or through any other agency on its behalf: -
- If so required by the State Government or the Board, take up the works in connection with the preparation and implementation of Regional Plans, Master Plans and New Township Plans and town improvement schemes;
- Undertake the work relating to the amenities and services to be provided in the Urban Areas, Urban Estates, promotion of urban development as well as construction of houses;
- Promote research, development of new techniques of planning, land development and house construction and manufacture of building material;
- Promote companies, associations and other bodies for carrying out the purposes of the Act; and
- Perform any other functions which are supplemental, incidental or consequential to any of the functions referred to in this sub section or which may be prescribed.